Von: "main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io" <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> im Auftrag von "ngtnewington Newington via groups.io" <ngtnewington@...>
Datum: Montag, 5. Juli 2021 um 21:26
An: "main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io" <main@amelyachtowners.groups.io>
Betreff: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Amel 54 Furlers

On my 54 with MEJ 1.02

I have no problem. You have to release the sheet before reefing. Completely unload the sail, reef it, and  then sheet it in.

I have never experienced the headsail unfurling in strong winds.

Do not kid yourself about Med weather being light. It blows pretty hard here in Greece, 40 knots is to be expected in a strong Meltemi between high islands.

As for the staysail, it is small. The furler is more than adequate.

I  have no opinion on water ingress. When I bought the boat both furlers were a mess, but I put in new belts and cleaned them up. One motor needed replacement after a transatlantic  east bound, but that was probably age.

I am not saying there are not better furlers out there but if you treat the MEJ 1.02 kindly it is fine.

Nick

S/Y Amelia

AML54-019

Ikaria Gr

On 5 Jul 2021, at 21:33, Paul Harries via groups.io <Pharries@...> wrote:

Thank you all

A few follow up questions

1) Are the MEJ 1.02 and MEJ 2.02 physically very different looking? Do you have pictures of both side by side to share?

2) Any guidelines on maintenance of these furlers and how to spot a poorly maintained one (greasing, galvanic etc).

3)Do belts need to be changed routinely on 1.02?

4) Any cases of these furlers letting sails unfurl in rough weather?

5) What was the eventual outcome on the control box saga for these?

I read somewhere that the MEJ 1.02 might be up to light use in Med but not to rough crossings, do you think that is true?

--
Paul Harries
Prospective Amel Buyer