Re: Amel 54 Furlers

Martin Birkhoff

Hi Paul,

here our experience with the Bamar furlers.

When we started to do some test sailing with our later Mago del Sur both Bamar furlers did not work. (I have to mention that the boat was totally neglected. It spend some two and a half years without any maintenance.) Within less than 24 hours the boatyard and the broker managed to get and install two brand new Bamar control boxes. Still today I am wondering how they could get two original Bamar control boxes in this short time. After this the genoa furling system did work but it made an horrible noise. The jib furling system produced some smoke signals only so we switched it off.

We bought this poor neglected baby. After we sailed her to Germany we figured out that the housing of the jib furler motor was completely filled with water. The motor was corroded totally. We got a new motor from Bamar and mounted it. The system was working from this moment on, but when we used the jib furler the control box of the jib caused an high voltage alarm after some seconds of use and stopped the system. (We never could proof any high voltage in our board net and we nevr managed ti find the faukt. The unit of the genoa furler was working fine always.) Half a year later the jib furler system broke down again. The belt was wrapped somehow in between the belt drives and one of the wheels was broken off its axis. Impossible to say what happened first.

We decided to change the furling systems completely. Bamar made a very good offer. They gave us an excellent quote of some 13.000 Euros for both the jib an d the genoa furling system (new foils, new motors, new control boxes).

But we could not become friends of these complex control units (what for?) and in my opinion the new mechanic was too complex still.

This is why we bought two Reckmann systems finally. They are a kind of stone age technique. An electric motor, an absolute simple gearbox, no electronics. The only disadvantage was the shocking price: some 30.000 Euros including all installation works and two new stays.

Since we rigged them in June 2017 we never faced any problem.

Martin
Mago del Sur - 54#40