Re: Amel 54 Furlers

Randall Walker

I also have the same Reckman/Genoa and Bamar mej1.02/staysail setup on my 54, and have to say the Reckman is top notch.
This was done by the previous owner who invested in quality, throughout.
The staysail furler would be swapped out for the Reckman if ever it fails, or I find one on a wrecked boat being scrapped. But for now I’m happy.

Randall
A54#56
ALBEDO
Grenada

On Tue, Jul 6, 2021 at 09:52 Jamie Wendell <mysticshadow54@...> wrote:
Just to chime in on this discussion, on my A54, I replaced the original MEJ1.02 on the genoa with a Reckman while in Martinique a couple of years ago. Expensive - yes indeed, but absolutely bulletproof. The original Bamar would not handle high loads and eventually locked up from internal corrosion - even though I had it serviced the year before.
I retained the staysail MEJ1.02 and have had to replace the motor and belt gears since then. It is still grinding a bit and now quite noisy, so it too needs to be serviced. But, it seems to be powerful enough for the job when it works. I really do not like the belt-drive approach, but the staysail is not a major concern to me. I would definitely like a new EFJ but cannot justify the expense at this point. A Reckman for the staysail would be nice, but ouch....
Jamie
Phantom, A54 #44