Re: Amel 54 Furlers

Sv Garulfo

Hi all,

When we bought our a54 in 2016, the previous owner had already changes the genoa furler to Reckmann. He kept the Bamar MEJ 1.02 for the staysail. He left a number of spare/used Bamar control boxes onboard.

Since then, we had no issues with the Reckmann, despite our inexperience with electric furlers. We try to treat it gently, removing as much power from the sail when furling in, without it flapping too much either.

Initially we had cases of the thermal protection tripping because the rolled genaker would get caught in the furler.

We broke the belt in the bamar staysail furler once, but that was because of my own stupidity. It was easy enough to replace. Have some spares.

We have mainly sailed downwind in the last 4 years, so haven’t used the staysail much, so it hasn’t been used in anger and seems sufficient.

I’d be interested in feedback, knowledge and opinion about why Amel decided to:
1. Discontinue the Amel built furlers after the SM? They seemed perfectly fit for purpose.
2. Stop using the Reckmann furlers after the 55. Again, users seem satisfied with them.

Hope that will give more information about this subject.

Best,

Thomas
GARULFO
A54-122
Tahiti

Ps: Having sailed half way around the world now, and being originally a med sailor, I can tell you the Med has delivered the worst seas and wind conditions I have ever seen. Maybe the (slightly pejorative, imho) reference to “a boat for the Med” refers to proximity of shelter and support.

On 6 Jul 2021, at 05:40, Jean Boucharlat <jean.boucharlat@...> wrote:

Hello J.P. and Bill,

May be you're both right!

In fact Profurl and Facnor are now brands of Groupe Wichard, famous for its shackles, etc.,which bought both companies.

Jean Boucharlat