From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io [mailto:main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io] On Behalf Of Danny and Yvonne SIMMS
Sent: Tuesday, 6 July 2021 5:32 AM
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] #attackedbywhales #newboat WE SOLD THE BOAT! Now what??? Sailing Ocean F...

Hi Stefan, you must be very relaxed people for that not to be frightening. Your comment about the agreed course is very interesting, likewise being escorted out of their area. I was once herded away from a big pod of big dolphins by two of the largest. There were quite a number of young with the pod. The two herders would let us within 500 meters of the main pod. Obviously we were sensitive to their behaviour and read what they expected of us. Perhaps you have identified what is going on with these Orca, and what needs to be done to avoid damage. Perhaps rapid interpretation of their "requirements of us" may avoid the worst damage????.
There is a scientist, Ingrid Visser, in New Zealand who has made a lifetime study of Orca. I will contact her and see what she may know about this sort of behaviour.
Regards
Danny
SM 299
Ocean Pearl
On 06 July 2021 at 03:13 Stefan Jeukendrup <sjeukendrup@eegtech.com> wrote:

Thanks for your answer,

Actually it was not frighting at all and we enjoyed this once in a
lifetime close encounter.

The second hour we (= the orcas and the helmsman) "agreed" on a course
of 280 and the group escorted us out of their territory.

I felt they where treating us gently and it is probably just one thart
has the strange habit of biting off chunks of rudders....

Almost the same happened to the mentioned couple in Gibraltar.

All is good,

Stefan Jeukendrup

SM2k #348 @ currently at Cabo Vincente Portugal

Op 05-07-2021 om 15:59 schreef Justin Maguire:
This is. On the third Amel I know if that has had its rudders destroyed… WHAT THE HELL!?!!

I hope you are ok and we’re able to makekk no it to port safely.
That sounds frightening… especially them “pushing the boat around”…
😳

Cheers,
-Justin
On Jul 5, 2021, at 10:50, Stefan Jeukendrup <sjeukendrup@eegtech.com> wrote:

Warning:

Yesterday on the 100m line between Barbate and de strait of Gibraltar we where targeted by 3 orcas and a young.

We spoke to another couple in Gibraltar that just experienced the same, they came from the Azores.

The group orcas entertained us for 2 hours by pushing the boat around in circles and at the same time they bit off the lower section of the rudder.

Rudder is still functional but anodes and the surounding fiberglass are gone.

Does anyone know wether it is possible to remove the rudder of a Supermaramu 2000 in the water?

Thank you in advance for your help,

Stefan Jeukendrup

SM2k #345 @Cabo Vincente Portugal

<head>
<title></title>
</head>
<b>IMPORTANT DISCLAIMER - THIS MAY AFFECT YOUR LEGAL RIGHTS:</b>
Because this document has been prepared without consideration
of any specific clients investment objectives, financial situation or
needs, a Bell Potter Securities Limited investment adviser should be
consulted before any investment decision is made.
While this document is based on the information from sources which are
considered reliable, Bell Potter Securities Limited, its directors,
employees and consultants do not represent, warrant or guarantee,
expressly or impliedly, that the information contained in this document
is complete or accurate.
Bell Potter Securities Limited does not accept any responsibility to
inform you of any matter that subsequently comes to its notice, which
may affect any of the information contained in this document.
This document is a private communication to clients and is not intended
for public circulation or for the use of any third party, without the
prior approval of Bell Potter Securities.
Disclosure of Interest: Bell Potter Securities Limited receives
commission from dealing in securities and its authorised representatives,
or introducers of business, may directly share in this commission. Bell
Potter Securities and its associates may hold shares in the companies
recommended.
<b>Bell Potter Securities Limited ABN 25 006 390 772 AFS Licence No. 243480</b>