Re: Bow thruster does not work in one direvtion

I am glad it worked out and thanks for the photos. I was aware that this solution worked on at least two cases, but did not have the benefit of such exacting photos.

I am thinking that the life of this relay is probably about 10 - 12 years and if an owner has one in this age range disconnection from the motor, cleaning, and inspection is probably in order.

How many hours did it take?

Bill
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

On Wed, Jul 7, 2021 at 2:13 AM Mohammad Shirloo <mshirloo@...> wrote:
Our first solution of just cleaning the control box, turned out to be a coincidental repair. The Bow Thruster did work for a few days and then stopped working in one direction again. After some research and assistance from the group, especially Doug Smith of Aventura and Bill Rouse, we narrowed down the issue to the main bowthruster relay. Yesterday we opened it up for inspection. The exterior of the relay was pristine, but found what is shown in the attached pictures. Some material has been physically transferred, from a process similar to welding, from some of the contacts in the relay, to the opposing contact in the relay. After a thorough cleaning of the buildup on th econtacts and other surfaces using wire brushers and application of CorrosionX to the springs, we have a fully operational Bowthruster. Now need to order a new one, as I don't believe we have as good a connection when the relay activates, due to the uneven surfaces of the contacts created by the arching that has been going on for a while. Thanks for all the shared knowledge.