Re: Self introduction and question about autopilot redundancy and solo sailing

Alain Blanchard <akdf85@...>

Hello Stéphane

The concept of dual auto-pilot on my personal point of view is that For long haul trip I am more confortable with a back up. Agree that there is only one rudder but as a former twin engine helicopter Pilot I was more than challenged that there was only one gear box. Anyway never had serious issues with the gear box but some with the engines. Never heard in my humble Amel SM expérience of a rudder loss.
Alain
SM 146/Koriolys

Envoyé de mon iPhone

Le 7 juil. 2021 à 23:04, Justin Maguire <justin_maguire@...> a écrit :

 My .02 - YMMV 😉

True redundancy means two completely independent systems…

How this is done on a boat with one rudder is different than one with two.

The SM and A54 (one rudder) have redundancy by placing one on the backside of the helm and one at the rudder stock.

I don’t know how the 55 does it.

The 50 and 60 each have two rudders and each has its own completely independent system all the way to two different breaker switches and discreet head units at the helm.

Nothing is completely failure proof…
- get hit by lightning and you can assume all electronics are out
- all AP systems use power… lose power and assume all auto pilots out
- on a single rudder boat, lose the rudder and you’re steering with sails.. one benefit of a ketch rig is that this is MUCH easier to do than on a sloop/cutter rig
- on a duel rudder setup (50/60) you can actually lose a rudder and still have one complete AP setup but lose them both and steering with sails will require lots of skill

3rd only to water and sails/standing rigging (for me) would be not losing power. The completely dry bilge of the Amel’s is fantastic as it ensures you’re batteries won’t be destroyed by water ingress.

The generator is a redundant system for power… put enough solar on so that this remains true.

On Jul 7, 2021, at 16:25, Stéphane Meyer via groups.io <fredolo@...> wrote:

Hello,

Please just le me introduce myself quickly,

When I was 16 years old my father's best friend bought a SM brand new from the factory. I was stocked and we sailed onboard his SM around Toulon area in the 90's. Sadly he passed away before he could realize his dream to sail around the world.
I've been playing myself a lot with the idea and for me there is only one brand I would ever consider ...Amel. I just love so many things about these boats and I think you have to really love a boat considering what it takes to maintain it.
I'm not boat shopping yet, but will be within the next five years.

One question I always ask myself. Please forgive me being so clueless but I never owned myself a boat equipped with an autopilot system.

As an airline pilot I want redundancy for all the critical systems. On a boat especially solo, I guess the critical systems are the rudder, the AP system, at least one sail, water and food.

Could someone explain me properly how to achieve REAL redundancy in the AP system ?

How does that work on a SM ?
Is the dual AP installed really fully redundant and would you go solo across an ocean on a standard equipped SM ? What about total electrical failure ?
Same question for the SN. How is it equipped ? Single or dual AP ?

What about the wind vane installation or another backup directly on the wheel ?

Thank you for sharing what you know about it.