Re: Self introduction and question about autopilot redundancy and solo sailing

Eric Freedman

Please remember that the boat can be steered by aft autopilot if the cables snap or the rack and pinion lock up.

If all else fails, you still have the enormous emergency tiller which some people have used to steer hundreds if not a thousand miles.

I was once told that you could stand a super Maramu up on the rudder. I don’t know if that is true- based upon the angle of the ruder stock, however the rudder stock is a beast.

Off the Canaries in 2002 we bounced a very big whale off our ruder with no damage to Kimberlite.

It first hit the keel and somehow hit the rudder as the wheel spun crazily as it broke the heim joint at the end of the linear autopilot.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376