Re: D3 110i-A exhaust elbow

Ulrich Michael Dangelmeyer

Hi Nick,

great! good luck! THX for your feedback if you made the bargain.

Where are you mooring in Patmos? in the southern bight Grikous, or in the northern bights?
Main port Skala is currently under construction, new pontoons? > notes for mariners.

Then next heading north, whats your plan? plenty of f***** meltemi? no fun.
How is heading westbound, mykonos milos santorini…more meltemi? I´m courious, learning from you.

Best wishes and have a good day. Just preparing my luggage for Leros on Tuesday.

Ulrich
S/Y „Soleil Bleu“ A54#088
<>

Am 11.07.2021 um 15:26 schrieb ngtnewington Newington via groups.io <ngtnewington@...>:

Hi Ulrich
370 euros inc vat is more like it. Brand new OEM part.
I will continue looking but that is probably the best bet.
Thanks
Nick
S/Y Amelia
AML 54-019
Patmos
Waiting for the Meltemi to ease off before heading north.

On 11 Jul 2021, at 16:13, Ulrich Michael Dangelmeyer <ulrich.dangelmeyer@...> wrote:

hello Nick and Bill and all other Amelians, are interested in this parts….

genuine VP part number 38073053 is correct and confirmed.
OEM part costs in Germany incl. VAT is 370,00 Euros.
> Have a look on the website from Carl Baguhn in Hamburg, main VP distributor in GER.

Hope this helps.
@ Nick: shipping from Hamburg to Greece…peanuts by DHL or FedEx.

Best and fair winds
S/Y „Soleil Bleu“ A54#088
Leros GR
<>

Am 11.07.2021 um 14:58 schrieb CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...>:

Nick,

<image.png>

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
Address: 720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550

View My Training Calendar

On Sun, Jul 11, 2021 at 7:56 AM Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:
Great...I was afraid that I was wrong.

I will email HDI about 3807305. You should also.

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
Address: 720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550

View My Training Calendar

On Sun, Jul 11, 2021 at 7:32 AM ngtnewington Newington via groups.io <ngtnewington=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi Bill, the Volvo Penta part number
is 3807305 which is the unit labelled 6 below
<image0.jpeg>

Best
Nick
S/Y Amelia
AML54-019 Greece

On 10 Jul 2021, at 15:55, CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:

Nick,

HDI Marine Ltd www.hdimarine.net manufacturers exhaust elbows by casting in one piece using the stainless steel investment cast process. It should be a buy one-time item and is usually significantly cheaper than the OEM elbow. Many A[mel owners have purchased from HDI and HDI is a preferred vendor of Yacht School.

HDI has the following items:
Volvo TMD 22 OEM Part #3582512 HDI part #AD
Yanmar 75 & 100hp 4JH3 Part #129671-13552 HDI part #L3

Do you know the number of the D3-110 elbow? I think it is part #21192127.

<image.png>

Jeff Krause sent me his D3 elbow which I sent to HDI to duplicate.  I never heard back from HDI. Possibly this part is impossible for HDI to make. I will follow up today with Hailey Wilkerson, Director of Marketing, 971-255-9139, hailey@.... Anyone else needing this part may also want to write Hailey.

Bill
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
Address: 720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550

View My Training Calendar

On Sat, Jul 10, 2021 at 5:56 AM ngtnewington Newington via groups.io <ngtnewington=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Since replacing the turbo heat shield I can now visually inspect the exhaust elbow.
To that end I am no longer in blissful ignorance.
As shown in the photo the weld is corroding. Hot exhaust gas meets cold sea water. I do not think failure is imminent but clearly Something needs to be done.
I believe it is stainless steel as it is not magnetic. Not sure of the grade.
I see various options:
1. Buy spare gasket or make one and remove the whole elbow and if still sound have the welds ground out and repaired
2. Buy a new one for about £500
Ouch seems excessively expensive, typical Volvo rip off
3. Have a new one fabricated in stainless.

Does anyone know what grade of stainless is best?
Has anyone been down this avenue? Know of a good fabricator?

Nick SY Amelia

AML 54 -019