Downwind sailing with a 54

Martin <yachtcaduceus@...>

I would be interested to receive feedback from other 54 owners in particular, and other Amel owners in general, as to your experience with trade wind, downwind, sailing and what other sail plan options that you may have tried.

Unlike earlier Amel yachts the 54 does not have the Amel twin headsail option, relying on the genoa, a single bearing out pole and a light weight (15kts max) genaker.

We are usually sailing with only the two of us aboard and our options are limited in respect of spinakers and the like, given the problems and risks involved in handling in rising winds.

Regards,
Martin Bevan
Caduceus - Amel 54 No 56 2007