Rép. : [Amel] Shore power supplies - 220v and 110v

Serge Tremblay <laetitiaii@...>

Hi Martin,

As a North american, i had the same problem, going back and forth between places where 110 acv 60 hz prevailed and Europe or the FWI where it was 220 acv 50 hz... Furthermore, being from a country where 110 is the norm, all my hand tools, including kitchen equipment were 110 and someone gave me a 110 clothewasher, to replace my rusted 220 machine.

I installed a 220-110, 3500w transformer in the ac circuit, a ground protecting device for shore power, a 110 connection for the marinas and a master selector switch for the entry plugs.

The only problem encountered was a 220 water pump for my Siemen dishwasher, i replaced same with a DC water pump, activated by a relay.

When ac power is on, i have the two voltages and i have taken advantage of this in my earlier computer setup where prices for 220 equipment was higher than 110 as well as for other equipment such as a 110 micowave oven which was inexpensive here and a 220 micowave was not readily available.

However in recent years, many computer accessories run from a transformer-regulator capable of both 110 and 220, my 110 micowave broke down when i was in Spain in 2007 and was replaced with a 220 model.

My main battery 220 charger/inverter (Sterling, with which i replaced a 1000w Mastervolt charger/inverter) works well with this system, howevever, i do cutout the transformer, if the 110 is not required since the transformer does draw about 125 milli amp,  (about 25 watts), on the inverter even if 110 power is not required. I also have a variety of chargers for the PDA, the portable telephones, the VHF, the portable drills, the small battery chargers, some run on 110 others on 220 and they are disconnected when i am not on shore power and the charge is not needed.

As for the existing clothewasher, i saw an interesting 220 top loading model in Martinique with whhich i expect to replace the existing 110 machine. Not having connected the housing of the latter to the  general grounding circuit, the 10 year old machine is starting to rust and is less efficient than the newer machines.

I know that with a recent Amel you are not yet concerned with the aging of the electrical equipment, but with my experience you can see that having the choice of voltages does offer more than the opportunity to use 110 shore power at marinas.

BTW, when looking for transformers,  you will find models fully encapsulated in resin. They are well designed for marina operators or yachties installing same on a dock, but are bulky and seemed to be relatively expensive. My transformer is a simple one that i recoated with epoxyde paint, it is installed in the engine room, affixed to the partition wall of the pilot berth.

Hope to hear about your choice.

Serge , Mango 51

Note: À VENDRE - FOR SALE
LAETITIA II