Re: Bow thruster does not work in one direction

Randall Walker

Well that’s not good for me as they definitely won’t have one here in Grenada. So I have my unit ready to resemble and had but one question.
The contacts, did you put any dielectric grease to aid contact. Or would that be a no no.
Mine are not as far gone as yours were?
I did learn a lot from the tear down though. Hope my rebuild will work.

Randall
A54#56
Grenada

On Fri, Jul 16, 2021 at 12:10 Mohammad Shirloo <mshirloo@...> wrote:
Agreed. Although with practice it is possible to back an Amel without a bowthruster, in tight marinas with cross wind, it is not wise. In The Med, I consider the bowthruster,  a safety item that should not be down for long.

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> on behalf of CW Bill Rouse via groups.io <brouse=gmail.com@groups.io>
Sent: Friday, July 16, 2021 6:03:32 PM
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io Notification <main@amelyachtowners.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Bow thruster does not work in one direction

The fact that a SidePower dealer in Croatia had 2 solenoids in stock should be a sign to all SidePower owners that it is a really good thing to have one of these available to replace when the original is 8-10 years old.

Bill

On Fri, Jul 16, 2021 at 10:54 AM Mohammad Shirloo <mshirloo@...> wrote:
Update. The cleaning and service of the main solenoid was only good for a few uses. It stopped working again. I took apart again and the carbon buildup was back. I tried leveling the contacts by using a dermal abbrasive blade, but found that there was no contact left at two of the contact points. I found the Sidepower dealer in Croatia, he had two of the solenoids in stock. Installed new one 2 days later and all functioning well.

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.