Re: In Mast Furling

Mark Erdos

Eric,

Just about every new Amel owner jams their main sail during the first months of ownership. Me included – more than once – because I like being an over-achiever. The good news is the sail will furl but will not unfurl if you don’t pay attention to the furling orientation. So this means, no going up the mast in the ocean. If you can’t get the sail out, just use the jib and mizzen sail. The mizzen has never jammed on me.

The key to the furling is to point to windward, and while furling the main, keep just a small amount of tension on the outhaul (not too much) with the boom level and fastened. At first, perhaps furling a couple of feet at a time until you get used to the motors.

If you are trying to pull out the sail and it gets stuck at the top while coming out of the mast, the trick is to turn the furling winch the other way (furling it back into the mast) while keeping the outhaul tight (but not too tight). Work the furling back and forth a little bit and it will come loose. This is true with both the main and the mizzen mast. On the main sail, do not over strain the motors. If you burn the motor out, it is an expensive mistake. Keep the outhaul snug and slowly furl in and out. It will come loose. Sometimes it will come out a little bit at a time but keep going back and forth and it will all come out. Do not over strain the motor. If it get hot, wait! Let it cool and try again later.

If it were me, I would not let this small detail deter me from buying one of the best blue water cruising boats ever built.

You asked about the plus side. For us it is never having to leave the cockpit to adjust the sails. One person can very easily reef or shake out a reef from the safety of the helm position.

There is a good thread on this:
https://amelyachtowners.groups.io/g/main/message/33787

Hope this helps.

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

www.creampuff.us