Re: In Mast Furling

Alan Leslie

Edited

Agree with all of that. When I bought Elyse, the first few goes at unfurling and furling the mainsail I completely stuffed it up and I wondered if I would ever get the hang of it. Well, I did and now we don't have any issues and we have short vertical battens in our main.

A number of "tricks" help.
1. try always to unfurl and furl on starboard tack heading just off dead up wind - that's because of the rotation of the foil in the mast feeds the sail in on the starboard side, do it on port tack and the sail is rubbing on the mast opening causing friction and possible sail damage.
2. make sure the boom is at 90 degrees to the mast, if it is too high the sail will bunch up at the top when furling and you will have a lot of problems unfurling it. We have a tape mark on the main sheet at my eye level to know that the boom is in the correct position.
3. Use the motor switches to keep the outhaul just tight enough to prevent flogging the sail. Unfurling keep the outhaul switch on and toggle the mast motor switch to keep things under control. The opposite when furling, keep the mast motor switch on and toggle the outhaul to ensure a smooth wrap of the sail on the foil.

Once you get the hang of it, it's easy and as others have said it shouldn't put you off buying what is arguably the best blue water cruising yacht out there.

cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437