Re: Bow thruster does not work in one direction

Mohammad Shirloo

Hi Randall;

Your solenoid is quite different than ours and the contact points on yours are larger. I’m unsure if dielectric grease would be wise without really knowing how it will behave under the conditions that these solenoids operate. If you did not observe any, when you disassembled, my inclination would be not to add any.

Respectfully;

Mohammad and Aty

B&B Kokomo

Amel 54 #099

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of Randall Walker via groups.io
Sent: Friday, July 16, 2021 5:46 PM
To: main@amelyachtowners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Bow thruster does not work in one direction

Well that’s not good for me as they definitely won’t have one here in Grenada. So I have my unit ready to resemble and had but one question.

The contacts, did you put any dielectric grease to aid contact. Or would that be a no no.

Mine are not as far gone as yours were?

I did learn a lot from the tear down though. Hope my rebuild will work.

Randall

A54#56

Grenada

On Fri, Jul 16, 2021 at 12:10 Mohammad Shirloo <mshirloo@...> wrote:

Agreed. Although with practice it is possible to back an Amel without a bowthruster, in tight marinas with cross wind, it is not wise. In The Med, I consider the bowthruster,  a safety item that should not be down for long.

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> on behalf of CW Bill Rouse via groups.io <brouse=gmail.com@groups.io>
Sent: Friday, July 16, 2021 6:03:32 PM
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io Notification <main@amelyachtowners.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Bow thruster does not work in one direction

The fact that a SidePower dealer in Croatia had 2 solenoids in stock should be a sign to all SidePower owners that it is a really good thing to have one of these available to replace when the original is 8-10 years old.

Bill

On Fri, Jul 16, 2021 at 10:54 AM Mohammad Shirloo <mshirloo@...> wrote:

Update. The cleaning and service of the main solenoid was only good for a few uses. It stopped working again. I took apart again and the carbon buildup was back. I tried leveling the contacts by using a dermal abbrasive blade, but found that there was no contact left at two of the contact points. I found the Sidepower dealer in Croatia, he had two of the solenoids in stock. Installed new one 2 days later and all functioning well.

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.