Re: Mold between cushion and chest freezer on 55

ngtnewington Newington

On Amelia there is a void built in to the bench, so the bottom cushion stays dry.
The back rest however is Velcro’d to the bulkhead with no void and it gets damp from the galley chest fridge. It would be possible to make a narrow void though.

The insulation is clearly not great.
The way to go is to build new insulated boxes using vacuum panels but it would be quite a project….one that I am not in a hurry to do but maybe one day…
Nick
SY Amelia
AML 54-019
Sailing Sporades GR

On 17 Jul 2021, at 13:54, Arno Luijten <arno.luijten@...> wrote:

Try living in the tropics with your Amel. You will find this annoyance on daily basis.  We remove the cushion during the night to allow the moisture to evaporate.
There is a 40+ degree Celsius temperature gap between the outside and the inside of the freezer. The design and materials used are not able to prevent condensation of the moisture in the air at the rim and the top of the freezer-lid.
Solving this problem is a major undertaking as you need to improve the insulation of the lid big time.
By taking off the cushion during the night the problem becomes manageable. That is what I do and I know several other Amel owners do.

Cheers,
Arno Luijten
SV Luna,
A54-121