Re: Intermittent starting issue

Eric Freedman

Pat ,

Just look at the connector at the battery. If it is corroded simply change the cables. It is an inexpensive and quick fix.

Just Make sure to use tinned wire, I used 1 gauge not 1/o with closed ends lugs . They are closed at the battery end and not subject to the fumes from the battery.

Fair Winds,

Eric

SM 376 Kimberlite

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of Patrick McAneny via groups.io
Sent: Saturday, July 17, 2021 7:12 AM
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] POSSIBLE SOLUTION Intermittent starting issue

Eric, I had not thought about the condition of the cables as a source of my problem. I will cut back a cable and see what the condition is. My boat is a bit older than yours ,so that could be it. I need to resolve this before it gets me into a serious situation .The Scotchkote looks like good stuff.

Thanks,

Pat

SM Shenanigans

Sassafras River, Md.

-----Original Message-----
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Sent: Fri, Jul 16, 2021 6:46 pm
Subject: [AmelYachtOwners] POSSIBLE SOLUTION Intermittent starting issue

Over the last 5 or so years I have encountered this intermittent problem.

With a new engine totally rewired by me and all new panel and wiring I assumed the problem was solved.

However, it was not. I found that Amel used welding wire and not tinned wire from the starting battery and the main switches. Additionally , the lugs that they used were open at the terminal end. Thus, allowing the battery acid laden air to enter the wire, When I cut the wire open, I found that it was corroded for almost 2 feet from the battery.-which causes a lot of resistance . The voltage at the starter motor was + or – 11 volts.

The Valeo solenoid is rather sensitive to low voltage.

Upon further inspection of the cabled from the starting battery to the vapor barrier connector was a completely different color than the wire outside the battery box.

I replaced the cables and used closed end connectors on the cables. I also soldered the cables to the connectors after crimping them. I then applied Scotchcote,  

which is used on many underground connections.

Now the engine starts and stops like a charm. I also noted that the generator starts much more quickly.

While I was in the battery box, I noted that the common lugs posts for all the batteries were somewhat corroded. I loosened the nuts and applied corrosion x in between the lugs. My next project is to replace all the battery cables.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.