Kind Regards

Danny

SM 299 Ocean Pearl

On 19 July 2021 at 02:12 eric freedman <kimberlite@...> wrote:

Danny,

Have you noticed holes for wires and plumbing in the port and starboard outboard lower corners of the bulkhead going from the forward head and the forward hanging locker to the main cabin?

Fair Winds

ERIC

Kimberlite Amel SM 376

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of Danny and Yvonne SIMMS
Sent: Tuesday, May 11, 2021 1:39 PM
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Warning about "UFOs"

Hi Gerhard,

you rightly say that there is little we can do about these lost containers because they float so low we cant see them, even if a good watch is being kept. The Amel bulkhead system is our friend. On the SM (which I know best) we have the collision bulkhead which seals off the anchor chain locker. The access port on mine is always closed. Then the gasketed door to the front cabin. We had a report in this last week of a SM being holed forward of this and by closing the door was able to restrict water ingress to the front cabin and make port safely. The water only rose to the level of the berths and the fore /aft trim of the boat was little affected.

Another example of Henri Amels superb attention to design that matters.

Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl

On 11 May 2021 at 23:23 "Gerhard Mueller via groups.io" <carcode@...> wrote:

Gladefully it still don't have happened to me. But more and more container ships lost a large amount of containers at sea. They are called UFOs (Unidentified Floating Objects) and they are a real danger especially for sailing boats and fishing boats because even in moderate sea they are not seen or very late. Also the radar don't see them with no area above waterline. Since October 2020 and March 2021 more than 2,500 containers are lost. It is said about 12,000 containers are drifting in the oceans right now. Most of them goes to the ground when lost from the ship but others like reefer containers can float a very long time.

--
Gerhard Mueller
Amel Sharki #60