Re: In Mast Furling

Laurens Vos

Hi Martin,

Very interesting and many thanks that you made us aware of the way a sail can be build.
I checked the website of Stade and almost sure I’m going to visit them soon to discuss the possibilities for our 54.
Regarding the furling, you wrote that you never had problems with furling in any wind and any direction you furled the sail. Is that correct ?
But with the battens all the way down doesn’t get the rolled sail too big for the space inside the mast ?
Did you experienced a difference in power of the sail or less or helm compared to the sail with the short battens ?
Do you still need a leech line to prevent slapping ?
Are there any negative effects to this way of battens in a sail ?

Best regards

Laurens Vos
Fun@Sea - 54#92
La Rochelle