Re: chain counter

Thomas Peacock

Hi Bill,

By chain counter “hot” I hope that you mean just powered, and not hot to the touch. Bill Rouse suggests a way to turn it off, we also have the older version, I was unaware of that function. That said, we do have a toggle switch in the compartment above the galley sink which controls the chain counter power. Not sure if it was factory installed, I suspect not. But a good idea nevertheless. Also, my memory is that at least one wire goes to the joystick control for the windlass.

Tom Peacock
SM 240 Aletes
Chesapeake Bay

On Jul 20, 2021, at 7:01 PM, william reynolds <sail23692@...> wrote:

Does anyone have a good wiring schematic for the original Pochon Chain counter. I have the factory drawings which are not decipherable even if you read French.
I have 3 cables coming to the panel instrument and 2 of these go to a box above the sink labeled "Chain counter". .In this box is a terminal strip which connects the two cables from the panel and also there are 3 smaller cables with 3 wires each.  which connect in some form to the larger cables. One of these smaller cables comes from the constant power supply and one from the counter on the windless.  I can ring out the windless sensor and power supply but what the other cables are is a mystery.
The chain counter is hot all the time when then the power supply is on. This is a bad idea. Having a hot wire in the windless when you are underway and salt spray is flying is inviting corrosion. Needs a dedicated  off/of switch.
Bill R
Cloudstreet SM2K 331

--
Tom Peacock