Re: Fuel Stick

Patrick McAneny

Bill, I never connected a bonding wire to the motor case ,so maybe that is not my source/problem. I would thought only to bond metal parts that are in contact to the sea water on a regular basis. I just replaced the shaft seal this week and did see a little corrosion on the motor casing. Is there instruction somewhere on how to use a multi meter to detect a leak? 
Thanks,
Pat

-----Original Message-----
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io Notification <main@amelyachtowners.groups.io>
Sent: Sat, Jul 24, 2021 6:06 pm
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Fuel Stick

Pat,

Sorry, I did not answer your question. What happens inside the macerator pump when the seal starts leaking is saltwater gets into the motor wiring and inside the motor case. 

With the electric toilet Flush/Empty switches in the OFF position, the negative of the 24v house bank is still connected to the motor. Only the positive wire is switched with the switches. The saltwater creates continuity between the negative and the motor case. The bonding wire is connected to the motor case. Saltwater bridges the bonding to the negative side of the house bank and you have a negative leak.

You would only have a positive leak when the motor is energized by the switch.

Bill
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
Address: 720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550 
View My Training Calendar

On Sat, Jul 24, 2021 at 4:57 PM Patrick McAneny via groups.io <sailw32=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Bill, Yes that is what I remember you said, but I was wondering if that leak only occurred while being operated. I assume that the electric current travels thru the water in the intake hose to the sea and would be broken once the hose was empty of sea water ?? I wish my boat came with the Mass. Is there somewhere in the file section that explains how to detect a leak using a volt meter. I am not sure I have done it correctly in the past.
Thanks,
Pat
SM Shenanigans

To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io Notification <main@amelyachtowners.groups.io>
Sent: Sat, Jul 24, 2021 3:36 pm

Pat,

I probably did not make myself clear regarding the electric toilets. I later model SMs and all models from the 54 onward, Amel installed a current leak detector (MASS). It is a small toggle switch and LED which will test for a connection between the house bank positive and Bonding as well as the house bank negative and bonding.

When a failure is indicated by the LED, it is almost always caused by a failed seal on the macerator pump on the toilet, unless of course if someone has made some change or addition to the wiring anywhere on the boat.

This is what it looks like on a 54:
image.png

Snippet from my book:
image.png

In your case without the Amel-designed testing device, I think you can do this to see if you have a leak...finding it will be another chapter...let me know.
image.png

On Sat, Jul 24, 2021 at 2:13 PM Patrick McAneny via groups.io <sailw32=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Bill , That is why I asked, I thought it may present a problem . I suppose I could cap the end or keep it out of the tank and store it elsewhere. 
You may remember that I have been eating up my zincs faster than normal. You have said that the electric toilets are a source of electrical leak. Does that occur only when you run it ,have the switch on? Maybe I should email yo direct or put it a new thread.
Thanks,
Pat
SM Shenanigans

Sent: Sat, Jul 24, 2021 2:59 pm

The reason you should not is that your SM tank is made of 316 stainless steel. You will get dissimilar metal corrosion where the stick touches the tank...worse case is that the corrosion will penetrate the tank.

The above is not true with later model tanks beginning with the 54 that are made of aluminum.

Bill

On Sat, Jul 24, 2021 at 1:55 PM Patrick McAneny via groups.io <sailw32=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
I broke my plastic fuel stick , I am thinking about making one from aluminum bar stock. Is there any reason that would be a problem to use in the fuel tank ?
Thanks,
Pat
SM Shenanigans

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.