From: CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...>
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io Notification <main@amelyachtowners.groups.io>
Sent: Sat, Jul 24, 2021 6:06 pm
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Fuel Stick

Pat,

Sorry, I did not answer your question. What happens inside the macerator pump when the seal starts leaking is saltwater gets into the motor wiring and inside the motor case.

With the electric toilet Flush/Empty switches in the OFF position, the negative of the 24v house bank is still connected to the motor. Only the positive wire is switched with the switches. The saltwater creates continuity between the negative and the motor case. The bonding wire is connected to the motor case. Saltwater bridges the bonding to the negative side of the house bank and you have a negative leak.

You would only have a positive leak when the motor is energized by the switch.

Bill
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

On Sat, Jul 24, 2021 at 4:57 PM Patrick McAneny via groups.io <sailw32=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Bill, Yes that is what I remember you said, but I was wondering if that leak only occurred while being operated. I assume that the electric current travels thru the water in the intake hose to the sea and would be broken once the hose was empty of sea water ?? I wish my boat came with the Mass. Is there somewhere in the file section that explains how to detect a leak using a volt meter. I am not sure I have done it correctly in the past.
Thanks,
Pat
SM Shenanigans