Re: Engine overheating - Amel54

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi David, you can check/clean the sea chest inlet in the water. Take the top off, have a rod/tube of suitable diameter and length ready. Turn the seacock on and run the rod up and down. Takes a few seconds, turn the seacock off. Water does flow in but in the time you have it open it is not a problem. Shell fish like oysters and mussels love to grow in the tube.

Regards

Danny

SM 299 Ocean Pearl

On 29 July 2021 at 01:22 David Crisp <david@...> wrote:

All,

The problem turned out to be the transmission oil cooler which was 3/4 blocked.  The gurgling has stopped - I'm pretty sure this was the exhaust anti-syphon pipe sucking in air because of the upstream blockage.

Thanks for all the advice, really grateful.

Interestingly, now sea water can flow at full rate, when I rev the engine to over 2,000 to engage the alternator the sea chest alarm sounds, so at least I know that works!  I'm hauling out next week and will give the sea chest inlet a thorough check and clean out.
--
David Crisp
SV Wilna Grace