Re: Engine overheating - Amel54

Jose Venegas

One thing to keep in mind is to make sure that any growth or pieces of shells are cleaned away and do not remain inside the sea chest. I did not do that once and they migrated to the engine heat exchanger suddenly clogging it completely!! It was so bad that the pressure in the pipe increased to the point of blowing out one of the hoses and triggering an alarm. This happened in the worse moment as I was leaving an anchorage in Union Island through a narrow channel between two reefs. My good Ultra anchor was rapidly deployed and saved the day.

Jose Venegas
Ipanema SM278
Currently in Turtle bay marina, Panama