Re: Wind generators

Nick Newington

So it looks like the Superwind from Germany is the best bet, but my mount will need some adjusting.

Just checked out Sunpower 400W solar panels. I have to admit that from a cost benefit analysis there is a lot to be said with doing away with wind generators and investing in better solar. My existing arch will easily accommodate only very slightly larger panels that should produce 50% more power. I will have to adjust a couple of mounting lugs.
In sunny climes this will be more than enough to run everything.

So my thinking is to upgrade the solar and see how we go. If I then still covet wind power I will get it.

Nick
Amelia
AML 54-019
Patmos Gr

On 20 Aug 2021, at 19:07, JB Duler <jbduler@...> wrote:

´╗┐The previous owner installed a D400. The machine itself is great and smooth.
But...

1) the whole boat vibrates above 20 knots. I since found that 2 out of 4 nuts were missing with no washers (mediocre yard in Port Napoleon).
2) At 30-35 knots the vibrations are close to unbearable. I think it was mounted on a pole that is too high with no support mid way, so the pole enters into resonance
3) I think it was mounted high to avoid problems with the topping lift. Despite that you have to keep the topping lift super tight otherwise you'll break a blade or two.

The output is mediocre and if it blowing too hard the extra energy is funneled into resistances.

Bottom line, it creates additional complexity in the back of the boat and I am thinking about removing it. The output is not that great compared to solar.
My recommendation: don't buy one, put solar panels in different locations (like on the stern arch and on the cockpit), each with a different controller.
--
John Bernard "JB" Duler
San Francisco