Re: Stuck mainsail swivel

Gregory Shea

Olivier,
Here is a photo of the swivel inside the mast. Is this the Nirvana horseshoe you mention? I thought that the Nirvana mast was used on the next generation of electric furlers and what Dieter and I have are Amel masts. But maybe I am mistaken.
My challenge is to turn the two parts of the swivel while they are still inside the mast. From other postings on the forum, lots of water and WD40 plus moving the two parts backwards and forwards should free it up. I was wondering if anyone had done this without taking the swivel out of the mast? If they did, how did they grasp the two pieces to work them against each other?

Greg Shea
Sharki 133 Cap des Iles
Kilada

image1.jpeg

On Aug 21, 2021, at 7:43 PM, Beaute Olivier via groups.io <atlanticyachtsurvey@...> wrote:

Hello Greg,

I answered already Dieter about this a few weeks ago. You probably have a horseshoe mast NIRVANA type.
Your swivel may be OK but the tube, which on this manual furler, is held by a needle bearing at mast top, needs to be released.
I woulsd suggest that you climb to the very top of the mast and pour WD40 or equivalent CX to ease off the bearing.

Try to make pictures of the mast top from above.

Good luck.

Olivier

On Saturday, August 21, 2021, 05:12:26 PM GMT+2, Gregory Shea <gmshea@...> wrote:

Hello all,
Both Dieter Busch and I have the same problem with a frozen mainsail swivel on our Sharkis from1986. Two years of inactivity have taken their toll. We both have manual roller furling and there is no way to extract the swivel from the mast without lifting the spar. So, we are trying to free them with water and WD40 while the swivel is still inside the sail tube.
Frozen swivels are not new so I was wondering if other owners who encountered the problem managed to solve it without extracting the swivel from the mast. Mine is locked solid and the manual furling mechanism is not robust enough to apply much force. I need to be working directly on the swivel but grabbing hold of it has me stymied.
Any suggestions or experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Greg Shea
Sharki 133, Kilada, Greece