Re: Deck restoring

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi Mike, surface prep. Any loose or powdered paint had to be removed from the grooves and the surface scuffed. Sand paper would have been impossible to use as it would inevitably sanded the edges too. I broke 75mm off a flat file with a file edge and used that. In fact there was virtually no loose paint and not a lot of powdered. So I scuffed the full length of all the grooves. I had the advantage that the boat had been idle on the mooring for some time in a period with a lot of heavy rain so there was no salt to get rid of. The weather was not helpful and I had to work around rain and in our winter so I did the job in 2-3 hour bursts in the middle of the day. Before beginning to paint each day I wiped down the grooves with a cloth soaked in acetone. When the grooves were painted I left them to harden for a week or so. Then before applying the polytrol I wiped the deck down with a cloth lightly impregnated with acetone to remove any human oil residues from all the foot traffic and anything else that might have been there. Again note I had no salt to deal with. That's about it. Much easier job than I expected. The striping tool was very forgiving.

Regards

Danny

SM 299 Ocean Pearl

On 23 August 2021 at 23:53 "Mike Longcor (SV Trilogy)" <svtrilogy53@...> wrote:

Hi Danny,

Great results! Did you do any surface prep before applying the stripes? What about for the gel coat restorer?

Cheers,
Mike Longcor
SV Trilogy SM23
NZ

On Mon, Aug 23, 2021, 9:43 PM Danny and Yvonne SIMMS < simms@...> wrote:

Hi Ian, I just measured it. Looks like 2mm. I worked in arm reach lengths. Reach out, pull towards you on one side of the groove then reach out and pull towards you other side. Then I got experience and did three runs. One towards, one push back the other way and then a third towards. Trick is when you enter the slot to hit it right or you get a blob on the edge. The three stripe method had the advantage of just one entry. I think the paint I used was perfect. It flowed well.

Regards

Danny

SM 299 Ocean Pearl

On 23 August 2021 at 20:19 "ianjenkins1946 < ianjudyjenkins@...>" < ianjudyjenkins@...> wrote:

Hi Danny,

 Do you know which head width you used on the Buegler ?

Ian and Judy, Pen Azen, SM 302, Kilada