Re: Bali Hai Abandoned

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Yes it is interesting that in stress situations the boat is often more resilient than the crew and bad decisions are made. But unless you are there experiencing what they experience it is difficult to judge. However the availability of helicopter rescue is one factor that could allow crew to put unsustainable pressure on the skipper.  Wouldn't we all have loved to be there to pick up that boat. In my pre offshore briefings to the crew I tell them if something goes wrong we fix it. Not to even consider rescue,  because in our Pacific situation rescue could be 24 hours away and if we can survive the situation for 24 hours????

Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl

On 25 August 2021 at 15:46 eric freedman <kimberlite@...> wrote:

Profound seasickness—interesting!

If you google “The one that got away” in ocean navigator there is an article about us and another boat.

A Canadian sailed south and was 400 miles from Puerto Rico when he called for help due to extreme dehydration. We were asked to assist. We were within 200 feet of a beautiful sailboat just bobbing in the sea. Without a skipper.

Unfortunately, the rescue ship took the boat in tow. When the tow broke, they gave us the position. After towing it for 8 hours we got there near sunset,

I was concerned about getting crew on board as it was getting dark soon. If they would have not taken it in tow, we would have sailed it to St Maarten and returned it to the boat owner without a salvage fee. My crew was very bummed out as we could have easily salvaged

her if it was not towed—The boat was named SCAT—what a name . It turned up in Jost van Dyk