Re: Flexible Solar Panels

Porter McRoberts

We have 3 LG 315 watt rigid panels. Mounted on a stern arch. Exactly 4 years of operation. We’ve sailed mostly tropics, but about 12 months in NZ. 8 month on the hard with low consumption cycling. We have 12 105Ah 12v AGM batteries. We’ve banked 4250 Kw hours. For a daily average of 2,911 watts per day.
The reality is the solar installation took our generator run times from about 3-4 hours a day divided into a morning and evening run into an average of 45 min a day. Often every other day. Not having to generate 4.2 megawatts has been wonderful!

Best of luck!

Porter McRoberts
S/V IBIS A54-152
Fiji
WhatsApp:+1 754 265 2206
Www.fouribis.net

On Aug 27, 2021, at 12:02 AM, Matt & Michelle Day, SM#208 SV Talia <charlesmatthewday@...> wrote:

As Michelle and I are preparing to do our electrical system upgrade (arch, rigid panels, inverter/charger, LiFePO4 batteries), I came across several new CIGS flexible panels.  The white papers on these panels are interesting.  Their advertised wattage is lower, but they are much more tolerant to decreased performance due to high  temperatures.  Therefore, your daily output may actually be higher than traditional flex silica panels.

Does anyone here have any real world experience that can validate/invalidate the lab tests?

Matt
SV Talia
Hampton, VA