Re: Mainsail furler gasket.

Gregory,

Not everyone knows that you have an Amel 54. And, not all Amel 54s have the motor that you have. A54 #172 was built late in the production of the 54 and has the same furling motor as A55s. Earlier 54s had the same furling motor as SMs.

All of the following is copied from my Amel Book:

image.png

The issue is that when water enters the top of your motor, it will ruin the motor and a replacement costs over 2000 euro. According to SAV, there is no possibility of rebuild when this happens, although I believe someone posted here that they were able to rebuild. If so, I am sure it depends on how much saltwater damage.

Amel suggests that the top seal of the furling motor should be changed every 2 years. This seal is less than 10 euro. The motor is more than 2000 euro, but more than half of Amel owners do not change this seal every 2 years.
image.png

image.png

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

On Sat, Aug 28, 2021 at 10:39 AM Gregory Dmitriev <41greg.marine@...> wrote:
Guys,
just wandering why there is no similar seal between the gearbox and motor.

any reasons?

thx,

gd