Re: Wind generators

JOHN HAYES

Hi Ron

I brought a y tool of the line  silent wind unit 3 years ago. Though new on a trip through the pacific I eventually realised it’s output was negligible

I returned its brain box it to the agent  who replaced it at no charge (against instructions we had pulled it apart and could see a transistor had failed ). Since replacing the brain the unit has worked perfectly, plenty of generation and almost no noise…….maybe helped by Nga Waka’s berth in windy Wellington

Best

John Hayes

Nga Waka SN 61

Wellington NZ

On 29/08/2021, at 10:25 AM, Danny and Yvonne SIMMS <simms@...> wrote:

Hi Ron and all. Wind generators are not created equal. There are low price models that are what you pay for. Noisy, fragile and unable to cope with high winds. There is one the Duo 400 which is not cheap but very heavy and has a crude and awkward metbod of feathering in strong wins. I have seen people say it's the best. But then the same people say wind generators are rubbish. Many types require tethering in strong winds. Others throw off blades. Some are very noisy and are hated in marinas and anchorages. Others are noisy and vibrate shockingly sending vibrations throughout the boat. One model has many and very long blades, and has the best low wind output but throws off blades in high winds. Get the picture. If you are going wind select carefully. I got lucky and chose the Super Wind 350. Totally silent, nil vibration. Designed for remote locations to run for years with nil maintenance. Geared feathering blades that feather progressively as the wind increases. Total feathering over 40.knots. However, under 10 knots of apparent wind output is neglible. This applies to almost all wind generators. 15 knots apparent. Quite good. Over 20 knots apparent. "Cooking with gas"as the saying goes. In all things serious off shore you need redundancy. Wind solar and diesel covers the spectrum.

But if you want to wind. Only one place to go. Super wind. Cost me twice what others were but good choice.

Da NY

SM 299

Ocean Pearl

On 21 August 2021 at 02:18 Ron Hynes <riffhynes@...> wrote:

I installed a silent wind generator about four years ago and have never been happy with it. The output is minimal and it is anything but silent! At the same time I put on Solara panels and have been extremely pleased with their performance and durability. I only have 300 watts so the maximum output it’s close to 12 A where three or four hours at maximum sun.

Ron Hynes
954.319.0944

On Aug 20, 2021, at 9:55 AM, CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:

Wind - I always recommend solar.

I tried for years to get real-life data on any wind generator and found no actual useable data to construct a cost/benefit model. Sure I got the reports like, "one day a month ago we got XXX amps from the wind." Or, "it is always turning."

Bill

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School

View My Training Calendar

On Fri, Aug 20, 2021 at 8:42 AM Paul Osterberg < osterberg.paul.l@...> wrote:
Do not now about wind, but this year we replaced our 5 year old solar panels and replaced the with Sunpower maxium 3. 2x400 w is just a fraction larger surface that the old 3x150 w, A hug improvements. I often see peak watt close to 500w and occasionally around 540 w, During July we touched 3 Kwh for a full day each, yesterday as an example we reached 2,3 but the battery was full well before the end of the day and superhot (high temp reduce output)  We have litium and 1,4Kw of solar so do not need to run the panels constantly during a day, even though we cock food on induction, and make hot water through the inverter. But it is still summer and long day, sure I will need them all when days get shorter
Paul on SY Kerpa SM#259, Gran Canaria.