Re: Fuel Polishing

Mike Johnson

Hi Bill,

Thank you for the comments and advice.  We also have never had a problem but in recent years have been collecting increasing amounts of debri in the filters especially following bad weather passages.

Our thoughts were to install a polishing system to ensure the fuel was clean especially when agitated and the accumulated detritus at the bottom of the tank mixes with the fuel.

Very best wishes

Mike & Peta

Solitude
SM2K 461

On 1 Sep 2021, at 04:54, Bill Kinney <cruisingconsulting@...> wrote:

Mike,

Many people have installed, such a system, and I'll let them tell you the how's and why's.

Our boat did two circumnavigations and accumulated over 8000 engine hours with NO primary fuel filter at all, just a water separator.  Despite the obvious success of that arrangement, I did replace the Amel installed water separator with a standard Racor primary filter because it made me feel better.

I have had sailboats with diesel engines for over 30 years and have never had a fuel issue that a "fuel polishing" system would have fixed.  To be clear, I have also never had a common rail engine that might require a higher level of fuel filtration.

No matter if you have a fuel polishing system, or not, always be careful where you buy fuel.  If the source is even the least bit dicey, use a good quality filter funnel when filling your tank.  Keep the filter funnel clean and dry, and you're very unlikely to have a problem.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Annapolis, MD, USA