Re: Solar panels stainless steel mounted vs soft panels

Kent,

I really like this flexible panel installation by Delos which is sewn to the bimini top: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTa6HEo2_K8

And Solbian must have seen the video because they offer an option with zippers. They give you a choice of zipper color and panel back color:
image.png

A client is installing these:
On his SM bimini:

Panels with Junction box, cables, MC4 connectors, and lateral zippers for an easy relocation: https://www.solbian.eu/en/fixing-options/52-zipper.html

I would supply the panels with stiffening bars as for attached image, we recommend this for bimini installation to make the panel more resistant.

Glossy surface. You can decide on back-sheet color: white, black, or transparent for all the 6 panels.

On the deck in front of the windshield:

2 SP130 for deck, back adhesive, back wires, glossy surface.  https://www.solbian.eu/en/sp-series/8-sp-130.html
1  MPPT  Smart Solar 100/20 with bluetooth for bimini: https://www.solbian.eu/en/victron-energy/111-smartsolar-mppt-10030-1224v.html
1  MPPT  Smart Solar 75/15 with bluetooth for deck: https://www.solbian.eu/en/victron-energy/110-smartsolar-mppt-7515-1224v.html

Total power of bimini and deck: 732 W

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

On Thu, Sep 2, 2021 at 8:43 AM Patrick McAneny via groups.io <sailw32=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Kent, I spoke to Sunpower about their flex panels. He told me that the cells in the flex panels were the exact same cells used in their rigid panels , thus were just as effecient. For any given  dimension the rigid panel produces more watts because more sq. inches on a flex panel are devoted to the borders ,thus less productive area. He acknowledged that there would be some loss due to higher heat on a flex panel laying flat on a solid surface, he could not provide a percentage loss ,but said it was .negotiable. It is going to be high in the seventies for several days ,safe to return home.
Pat
SM Shenanigans
Sassafras River ,Md.