Re: Amel Mango Hull #14 - the engine room was not built to be watertight?!!?

rob dillmann

Dear Alexander,
Our Amel Mango has almost exactly the same engineroom set up (bilge, aft bulkhead, exhausts, etc).
Amel just did not build the engineroom to be watertight.
Good luck with changing all that.
Rob Dillmann
Westwind
Mango nr 43

Verstuurd vanaf mijn iPhone

Op 4 sep. 2021 om 20:19 heeft Daniel Alexander Thompson <Thompson.Xander@...> het volgende geschreven:

[Edited Message Follows]

(EDIT: i realise now that the engine room was built to be watertight and the prior owners have drilled all manner of holes in it)

Dear Group

I have just purchased Amel Mango hull #14. I took delivery of her about three days ago.

I have been rampaging through every nook and cranny of this boat for two days, and have found something which has left me aghast: the engine room was not built to be watertight. (EDIT: i realise now that the engine room was built to be watertight and the prior owners have drilled all manner of holes in it)

There is a small opening, just above the propshaft, in the aft cabin bulkhead. This opening (about 10 inches square) allows the aft cabin hull floor to drain directly into the engine room bilge. I find it very weird. Amel have gone to great length to vent the engine room far above the waterline. There is a watertight door and hatch. What on earth?

I want to make the engine room watertight. Does anybody know anybody who has done such a job on a Mango?

Best regards