Re: 24V+ Isolated Ground Leak

Paul,

I bet some "certified electronic technician" was aboard and did something like "grounding and instrument."

I have seen this more than once. And it is usually because someone is adding some device to the nav station.

Please send me a photo of the 24v Permanent Bus.

Bill

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

On Mon, Sep 6, 2021 at 9:47 PM Bill Hall <billhall95688@...> wrote:
Interesting that there would be a permanent on circuit with a transformer.   Would tend to make one kind of crazy

On Mon, Sep 6, 2021 at 7:44 PM Paul Stascavage via groups.io <pstas2003=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Bill Hall,

The switches are original but they are working just fine.  I believe Bill R’s and Mark’s explanation regarding the ‘permanent circuit’ explains why I was still seeing the leak with the switches off, but I appreciate your thoughts.

Hello John,

My rudimentary understanding is where there is voltage there is current.

After I get this rectified, I am going to check and make sure there is no issue with the rigging.  I appreciate the suggestion.

Bill R and Mark,

There are two wires on the negative post of the ‘permanent’ bus but I have not traced them yet.  With your information, I was able to narrow the leak down to the instrument circuit.  With the instrument circuit breaker off, the positive leak goes away.  I will do some more investigating tomorrow and report back when I figure things out further or ask for more assistance if I hit a road block.

My sincere thanks to you both for your help.  I will sleep much better tonight knowing the leak has been temporarily removed.

All the best,

Paul Stascavage
SM #466 - s/v Rita Kathryn
Currently Exploring City Island, NY