Re: 24V+ Isolated Ground Leak

Mark McGovern

Alan,

From your answer I'm guessing I'm the one who sent things a bit awry.  Thanks for trying to get things back on track.  Clearly, I have a similar issue to Paul. I am hoping you can help me understand what I am seeing on my boat:

1.  Masse + light does not light when I move switch to Masse +
2.  Masse - light does not light when I move the switch to Masse -
3.  If I purposely connect a wire from +ve to Bonding, Masse + light turns on when I move the switch to Masse +
4.  If I purposely connect a wire from -ve to Bonding, Masse - light turns on when I move the switch to Masse -
5.  I measure pretty close to house bank voltage between +ve and Bonding (26.5v).
6.  I measure house bank voltage between +ve and -ve (26.5v)
7.  I measure zero volts between -ve and Bonding
8.  I measure 10-12 mega ohms resistance between -ve and Bonding

So based on this information and what you wrote, it appears that somewhere I have a connection between -ve and Bonding.  That connection is clearly not a good connection given that the Masse - light does not light up (unless I purposely make a good connection between -ve and Bonding) and given the really high resistance I have between -ve and Bonding.  Would you agree? If not, what do you think is happening?

Thanks,
Mark

--
Mark McGovern