Re: Watermaker

Bill Kinney

Pat,

I can assure you that there is nothing at all "special" about the prefilters used for a watermater. A 5 micron rated filter will do fine. If you have dual filter housings in series, a 20 or 25 micron in the first chamber will catch the "big" stuff.  You'll generally do better with the pleated paper elements than the filament wound ones, but it's not critical.

I am betting that the guy who told you you needed "special" watermaker prefilters just happened to have some of these magic filters he was happy to sell you. I'd take all the advice you got from him with a very large dose of salt.

Although they are not expensive, in an emergency you can reuse them at least once or twice.  Put a line down the filter, tie a stopper knot , and tow them behind the boat.  The resulting "backwards" flow through the element does a good job at cleaning them if they are not too far gone.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Annapolis, MD, USA