Re: Shore - Generator Switch-over box on A54 #solution

Nick Newington

Hi Mohammad and Ruedi,

I agree with you Mohammad. Prices will fall, insurers will become more comfortable. Lithium will replace lead acid, but it will take time, probably only a couple more years.
On “Amelia" I bought “Lifeline” AGM’s in Grenada when I bought the boat in 2017 at considerable expense. I also installed solar and wind. The batteries have never been discharged below 60% and generally get back to 100% a lot of the time. I am hoping for many more years of use, especially as I only sail half time. The rest of the time the solar keeps them 100%.

As and when they start to die I will replace them with Lithium, but I am still not comfortable with the complexities in particular leaving the boat ashore unattended for prolonged periods. I am also not comfortable with being entirely dependent on an electronic BMS in far off remote places. The kind of places that I like to dream of exploring.

Nick

S/Y Amelia
AML 54-019
Leros Gr

On 17 Sep 2021, at 08:27, Mohammad Shirloo <mshirloo@...> wrote:

Hi Ruedi;

We are currently in the Med and, in my opinion,  Lithium is not a huge advantage in our cruising style here. Also our AGMs that we installed in 2018, have been working better than expected and almost as good as when installed new.

I believe that Lithium technology for yachts is in its infancy and the improvement curve fairly steep. Our plan is to convert to Lithium in about 2-3 years, before leaving the Med, so we can benefit from all the advancement in technology and safety.

Respectfully;

Mohammad and Aty
B&B Kokomo
Amel 54 #099

Von: "main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io" <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> im Auftrag von Mohammad Shirloo <mshirloo@...>
Antworten an: "main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io" <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io>
Datum: Donnerstag, 16.
September 2021 um 07:40
An: "main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io" <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io>

Hi Ruedi;

There are electrical schematics in the original AMEL operator’s manual in the Appendix section, that came with the yacht, that show how they are wired. Attached is the schematic for the K1-K2 switchover relays.

I believe K1 and K2 switch/relays make the selection of power source.  Power first  goes through K1 which selects the source between shore power and generator. I believe that generator has priority over shore power. Once this source is selected, it goes through K2, which selects between the output of K1 and the inverter, with the output of K1 having higher priority.

I am fairly certain that the priority is:

  1. Generator
  2. Shore power
  3. Inverter

Respectfully;