Re: Amel 55 Hardtop & Mainsheet question

Arno & Jose,

Yes, I can see all sorts of issues with the hardtop rigging, one of which is there is no hardtop on the Cabriolet and that means significant changes between the two models. Frankly, I would be a little hesitant about the first hardtop rigging and I can see these being pulled from the hardtop structure. But, maybe they changed to simplify the production between the Cabriolet and the hardtop.

Bill

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

On Sat, Sep 18, 2021 at 9:52 AM Jose Alegria <Josealegr@...> wrote:
Hi Bill
Maybe Amel concluded the cockpit structure is not strong enough for support the main load forces particularly if the boom move quickly from one side to other.
Cheers

Jose Alegria
Amel55 #03-MERIT
+351918663037

No dia 18/09/2021, às 16:51, Arno Luijten <arno.luijten@...> escreveu:

Hi Bill,

Interesting observation.
I cant' give you a proper answer but using Yachtworld pictures I do notice this change happened around 2014, which I believe coincide with the mid-lifecycle update Amel did when they also revamped the dashboard with different switches etc.
The new solution does look cleaner although I still feel the lack of a proper traveller is a shame, even though they did bring back the rod-kicker which is dearly missed on our A54.
Given the way they rigged it in the latter solution I do think you should be careful with the main sheet when the boom is out. It may catch something and get snagged if the pressure on the sail is momentary lost because of sea motion
For abandoning initial solution, it does expose quit some forces at a point of the boat that has limited natural structural rigidity. Given how many boats use arches for the main sheet nowadays I suppose that is not a big problem.

Cheers,

Arno Luijten
SV Luna
A54-121