Re: Speed sensor rubber cap

Mohammad Shirloo

HI Bill;

I was thinking of using a sealant that would set under water. Any recommendation for the sealant? I may have something on board. I have to check. I do have some epoxy that will set under water. May be just some on the outside edge, so it creates an edge to prevent the cap from falling off. Now I’m thinking maybe a certain amount of growth, is a good thing.

Respectfully;

Mohammad and Aty

B&B Kokomo

Amel 54 #099

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of CW Bill Rouse via groups.io
Sent: Sunday, September 26, 2021 12:33 AM
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io Notification <main@amelyachtowners.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Speed sensor rubber cap

I had exactly the same issue. My sonic speed stopped working. I dove and found that I had one big barnacle on the rubber cap  When I pulled on the barnacle the cap came off.

Amel told me to reattach it with silicone sealant on the edges. 

I didn't haulout to do that and waited for about 6 months for a scheduled haul out. I replaced the cap, but Sonic Speed never worked. 

Good luck!

Best,

CW Bill Rouse 
Amel Owners Yacht School
+1 832-380-4970 | brouse@...
720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550 
www.AmelOwnersYachtSchool.com 
Yacht School Calendar: www.preparetocastoff.blogspot.com/p/calendar.html

On Sat, Sep 25, 2021, 3:48 PM Mohammad Shirloo <mshirloo@...> wrote:

Our speed sensor was a bit erratic after a 3 week stay in Venice. I dove in it today to clean the rubber caps with my diving gloves. The rubber cap came off of the forward sensor and I was able to catch it before it went to the bottom. 

I need to put the cap on while in water, until we haul out next year. It appears to be just a pressure fit as I could not see any sealant. The sealant may have just worn off in the past 12 years. Any advice on how to fit it back in under water, would be appreciated.

i have added pictures of the part to be reinstalled.

thank you.

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.