Re: Maramu pole attachment to the mast broke off

Bill Kinney

Just to be clear, the "threaded inserts" are usually known in the trade as "rivnuts"  I keep a selection of them onboard, they are very handy in a lot of situations. There are fancy tools to install them, but they can be installed with a bolt and a nut, it just takes a little longer.

They are available in a range of sizes and materials.  For installation in an aluminim mast, I'd stick with the Aluminum versions.  They are a lot stronger than just tapping the mast, and they last a lot longer than pop-rivets.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Annapolis, MD, USA