Re: Net call - potential water ingress point on all Super Maramus

Marty Crighton

John - the ply is the bulkhead. Only an issue if there is water ingress.
Flexseal or similar might work. On our boat there is a black coating that is beginning to wear off that may have been a similar product used by Amel during manufacture.
Respectfully
Marty

On Mon, Oct 11, 2021, 19:34 John Clark <john.biohead@...> wrote:
On Annie SM37 we have not experienced water pooling up in that space, nor do I see exposed plywood.
Would a flexible rubberized paint be a good preventative?  Think “flexseal” as a continuous membrane throughout the small space?

Regards,  John Clark

On Mon, Oct 11, 2021 at 6:59 PM Marty Crighton <dogfacedsailor@...> wrote:
Craig - sound advice, thanks. We will add that to our preventative measures.
Still can't see any good reason to have an opening like that in the first place without a vent cover. In our testing it was surprising how fast and how much rain water runs into and through that compartment. Even if one gets the boat better balanced, when the adhesive bond breaks down, and it will at some point, there will be water ingress and no one will be the wiser until it is too late. Between that compartment and the bulkhead there are significant voids many filled with foam. In fact there is foam partially filling the void just behind the corner aft of the drain hole. That foam buts up against naked ply in the bulkhead.. Once that foam is saturated water has unlimited and long lasting contact with ply causing damage without any visible signs to an owner.
Respectfully,
Marty

Nada, SM2K #327
Grenada

On Mon, Oct 11, 2021, 17:06 Craig Briggs via groups.io <sangaris=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi Marty,
Sounds like the notorious "Amel stern squat" may be causing water to pool in the aft portion of the vent compartment - often exacerbated by "stuff" on the stern (arch, davits, outboard in rear lazarett). Add 10 shots of anchor chain forward and see if it fixes it.
Craig - SN68 Sangaris, in Oriental, NC "the sailing capital of North Carolina"

--
Marty and Angela Crighton
Future Amel Owners

--