12V alternator for D3 Volvo on Amel 54

Ian Fraser

We are slowly working through the rehabilitation of our recent purchase of an Amel 54. This community has been an invaluable source of great advice and I'm constantly amazed at the body of knowledge and cooperation amongst Amelians! Thank you.

Grateful if anyone can advise a source for a replacement 12V alternator for Volvo D3 on Amel 54 #009. It looks like the previous owner of our A54 replaced the original with an alternator that cannot be isolated from the bonding. In other words there's no negative terminal and the alternator picks up the -ve from a case connection. The previous owner bridged the -ve start solenoid and therefore defeated the 12V -ve isolation from bonding.

Any suggestion would be gratefully received.

Ian Fraser
Dreamtime
A54 #009