Re: Galley sink drain

Joerg Esdorn

We all have our own technique for dealing with the bilge.  We clean every dish with paper towels before washing up, going through countless rolls of paper every season.  Then I put 150 g of hydrochloric acid into the bilge once a week and clean out the bilge with a brush and a wet vac once a season.  It is a disgusting task because of all the food residue caked to the hoses and the bilge pump switch assembly.  I have to cover the engine with a tarp to avoid getting grey water all over it.  I need to pull out each of the seven or so hoses, scrub them individually and tie them all to one side in order to even get a scrubber in to the bilge.  I also use a Karcher to get the stuff off the hoses and bilge walls.  And then I have to be concerned about disposing of the dirty water and other waste.  So I can’t do this in a nice marina.

Given all this effort, I’m asking myself why?  No other quality boat, Swan, Oyster, discovery, you name it, has a bilge setup like the Amel.  I understand that one through hull is better than two, at least theoretically, but I tend to think it’s a ephemeral advantage.  In reality, what counts is that the through hulls are in the engine room, which is watertight.   I also understand that if I were ever to sell the boat, some purists would snuff their noses at mine.   But then, it should cost only a couple of boat dollars to close it back up and I think some potential buyers might see it as an advantage!

Is there anything I’m missing?

Joerg Esdorn
A55 #53 Kincsem
Currently in La Rochelle