Re: Trust, but verify...

Arno Luijten

Bill (Rouse),

In my experience many of the so called marine technicians are are one trick ponys. They think because they have seen one installation, they have seen them all. Especially on an Amel this quite risky give the number of "different way of solving" solutions that are incorporated. This becomes real risk if you (as an owner) are not familiar with the technical details of your boat. Amel boats are build with a lot of idiosyncratic solutions and you need to at least understand them to make sure 3rd parties will not mess up. The whole point being that you as an owner are in the end sailing away with the boat trusting your safety to the boat (systems). Once a few hundred (or thousand) miles away it really is your problem if things were "fixed" improperly.

For me I try to do as much as possible myself, keeping the boat as much as possible unmodified, unless the alteration is improving the quality of the boat and even then I try to fit the changes into the original plan as tidy as possible even if that is more work.
As soon as someone says about some original part of the installation: "I don;t understand why they did this like this because my way is much better" you should be on high alert. I'm not saying Amel did everything perfect when they build our boat but most of it makes good sense either from technical perspective, because of limiting the build cost or simply because at the time of build it was the right solution given the available materials/solutions.

For the example of the exhaust hose is was clearly done by an amateur calling himself professional. It reminds me of my own saying that if you suck as car-mechanic you can always become a marine mechanic. At least that is what is seems to be sometimes.

Cheers,

Arno Luijten
SV Luna,
A54-121