Re: Trust, but verify...

Arno Luijten

Hi Bill (Kinney),

In my book the distinction between "professional" and "amateur" is very much different from the distinction between good quality and poor quality. So even if a mechanic works for a big name means little to me. I have seen this a number of times in the car industry as well. Usually it only means high hourly rates and a lot of pressure to finish jobs ASAP to keep the invoice acceptable.
I agree that many talented people will seek work in the so-called super yacht industry also because of the more interesting technology involved. However given the tight procedures around that world not every one likes to end up there and the resulting quality is more an effect of tight supervision by 3rd parties then anything else. I spoke to several of these guys (crew/captain on super yachts) here on Saint Martin and they seem to have the same problems as us finding competent workers.
I find good workmanship lies more in the pride they take in their job. Just like the car business when a small workshop can excel in quality much more then the official dealer. But for every highlight there are at least 10 dodgy car-shops. Finding the highlight is the big problem. For marine mechanics it is the same but there are much less of those around and if they are good they are normally swamped in work anyway so getting a slot of their time is not so easy. Most of these independents make better money then the ones working for the renowned companies where the shareholders want there cut as well. So quite often the situation is the reverse of what you say. The skilled worker becomes an independent so he can keep the money he earns. This does have a challenge as this requires more self-discipline to keep the quality high of the person and not all are gifted in that area.

Regards,

Arno Luijten
SV Luna,
A54-121