Re: Volvo RPM issue

Mohammad Shirloo

Hi Doug;

We dealt with a check engine error message last season that was related to the turbo boost pressure, so I did spend some time reading up on the function of the Variable Geometry turbo (VGT)  that is installed on the D3-110IC.

The VGT basically adjusts the physical size of the inlet of the turbo based on the amount of exhaust pressure available to produce the maximum consistent boost, so that there is wider range of power available and to minimize the peaky boost that some turbos produce. If you do not get the proper boost pressure from the turbo, the engine will not reach maximum RPMs. Since the turbo was just rebuilt and assuming the work was done correctly, and the fact that you are not getting a check engine error, you should be seeing boost pressures that match the RPMS.

On ours the Boost VS RPM is as follows:

RPM                                      Boost (kpa)

1600                                       20

1700                                       20

1800                                       30

1900                                       40

2000                                       50

This is in gear and not at idle. How much boost pressure are you seeing at these RPMs?

Happy Sailing;

Mohammad and Aty

B&B Kokomo

AMEL 54 #099