Re: Older style C-Drive; oil type and temperature

Helen and Kostas Yuvanidi

Hi Mike,

We just replaced our aluminum c-drive, this summer. Maud at Amel supplied the complete new drive unit. We still have our old one and are wondering what to do with it. We had serviced the upper part this year as we thought that the new one would not be ready in time, in the event it all worked out.

The upper unit was overheating last year, after losing the oil into the bilge, but that is a long story.

Amel recommends 15w 40 oil for the aluminum unit.

Best regards,
Helen and Kosta
SV Meditation SM 29 of 1990
Greece

On 2 Nov 2021, at 8:55 PM, Mike Longcor (SV Trilogy) <svtrilogy53@...> wrote:

Hello everyone,

I'm curious if anyone out there still has the old aluminium C-Drive installed in their SuperMaramu?

Is the 80-90 gear oil recommended for both C-Drives (aluminium and cast iron)?

What is the operating temperature range for the C-Drive (how hot should the upper gearbox get while motoring)?

I'm also asking Amel these questions and will respond here with any useful answers I get back. I have a feeling there aren't many aluminium C-Drives still out there...

Cheers,
Mike Longcor
SV Trilogy - SM23
NZ