Re: Boom vang on a Maramu

A lot of us call it a Boom Vang but is more accurately described as a downwind kicker.
20mm 3-strand nylon L = 145cm eye center to eye center
image.png

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

On Wed, Nov 10, 2021 at 12:36 PM Lance Leonard <Elscubano@...> wrote:
It looks like the previous owner of Minerva may have removed the boom vang and replaced it with a short piece of 3/4” triple braid. A preventer maybe? It seems like the purchase for the mainsheet is pretty far aft. I have decent sail shape until I get to about a broad reach. As I start to run the boom rises and the sail shape goes to hell.I was wondering if the boat was originally delivered with a boom vang (1983, before in-mast furling). Normally I would just take her out sailing, play with the mainsheet attachment points on the boom or kludge together a temporary boom vang. Unfortunately the boat is on the hard with the rig off for the winter.