Re: Boom vang on a Maramu

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi, It is not the racing yachtsman boom vang I found it strange for a start but as with all things Amel it works. I would caution against fitting a powerful, non flexible vang. Rigidity leads to breakage. The three strand nylon has a good stretch under shock load preventing this shock load being transferred to the mast and rig. In storm conditions this is critical, because with the best will in the world things go wrong and that is when these design features matter.

Kind Regards

Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl

On 11 November 2021 at 07:50 CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:

A lot of us call it a Boom Vang but is more accurately described as a downwind kicker.
20mm 3-strand nylon L = 145cm eye center to eye center
image.png

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School

View My Training Calendar

On Wed, Nov 10, 2021 at 12:36 PM Lance Leonard < Elscubano@...> wrote:
It looks like the previous owner of Minerva may have removed the boom vang and replaced it with a short piece of 3/4” triple braid. A preventer maybe? It seems like the purchase for the mainsheet is pretty far aft. I have decent sail shape until I get to about a broad reach. As I start to run the boom rises and the sail shape goes to hell.I was wondering if the boat was originally delivered with a boom vang (1983, before in-mast furling). Normally I would just take her out sailing, play with the mainsheet attachment points on the boom or kludge together a temporary boom vang. Unfortunately the boat is on the hard with the rig off for the winter.