Re: Crash Bar In Front of Galley Stove

Stephan Regulinski

I have just ordered a crash bar for my Super Maramu 2000 (hull #303),
built to my specifications from a local stainless steel welder here
in Stanta Cruz de Tenerife, Los Canarios. He is charging me 60
euros, about $65, and will deliver it to me in two days from the date
of order. I will install myself.

My design calls for 25mm stainless tubing (same as on rail) welded to
3mm-thick end plates plus two 4mm-thick, threaded backing plates to
receive the bolts which will hold the bar to the cabinetry. The
backing plates are screwed to the back of the plywood cabinat and
hence do not fall down when the bolt holding the crash bar is removed.

This backing-plate design is the same as Amel uses, for example, in
the nav station where the bolts hold the nav station cabinetry in
place. To see the Amel design, remove one of the upper drawers from
the nav station. The brass plate is visible in the bottom of the
cabinate. It is identical to the plate that holds one of the bolts
that pivots the stove.

This is a very simple design, very strong, removable (to allow access
to the dishwasher) and very inexpensive compared to the Amel solution
(which I have not seen).

I am also considering a second crash bar that would swing into place
and lock with a removable pin to separate the galley from the
companionway. We have had two accidents where the person in the
galley was thrown to the nav station. Both times, the nav seat broke
(instead of my wife's or my ribs!).